Thursday 5 April 2012

I want to marry a Horse!

At the end of March I had a wonderful discussion surrounding the issue of gay marriage on my Facebook page!  The discussion drew interest and input from the gay community, the straight community, those with faith and those without faith. I summed up my views on the discussion (and indeed closed the debate) with the following input:
“For me I can see and understand both sides of the debate without being for or against either. I haven't signed either of the petitions going around!! My personal opinion is that governments cannot change hearts and laws simply rearrange problems rather than solve them. For example by introducing gay marriage do we think it will solve the equality issue people have in their hearts?

I also think the debate is less about the gay community more about marriage.  The best way that I can explain this is through an example:

When I was in the Police I was issued a new style of shirt for my uniform. Instead of the traditional white collared shirt I was issued a black sports type t-shirt. The shirt was (and still is) black. However upon issue, the shirt was called graphite. Graphite is not the colour of the shirt I was issued.  Graphite is a dark grey colour. Upon further probing, Herts police didn't want to call them black for fear of offending. There used to be racist group called the blank shirts with whom they didn't want to associate with.

In my mind they simply changed the definition of a word (graphite) to suit them in order to be politically correct and not offend.

That’s the way I see the debate. It's not about gay marriage; it's about the definition of what marriage is.

If as a culture we're happy to change definition of such fundamental words then fine, but I personally believe that this is the argument: What is marriage?  It is not an attack on homosexuality.

 If we don't have a solid definition of marriage then what's to stop me challenging the system so I can have two, three or even four wives? Or marrying a horse? If I’m not allowed to express myself in this why, am I being discriminated against?

So that's where I stand: what is marriage. It's not about equality it’s about a definition.”

 I’d love to hear your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment