Wednesday 26 September 2012

The Church: Serving the poor


In my blog entitled ‘Pinky and the Brain’ I spoke of the three main purposes of the Church; to worship God, to bless the believer and to serve this lost and broken world. I’ve been stirred to ask myself ‘how am I fulfilling the purposes to which I have been called to?’ Today I want to look at how I’m reaching out to the needy and broken in my society:

God is really stirring me about this one lately.  I’ve been reading a book by Tim Keller called Ministries of Mercy - it is a dense book that has taken me months to digest, study and learn from.  It is jam packed with great wisdom about how we as a Church are called to love the lost, serve the broken and help the disadvantaged and has challenged by heart. 

Who are the poor?  They are those who are disempowered from making the choices that God wants them to make and this isn’t always about money or materials. This may include people who are physically disempowered through sickness and disease or those who are disempowered through circumstances that have happened to them.  It may include those who are spiritually disempowered and trapped in addiction or unbelief or it may include those who are emotionally disempowered through depression and low self esteem. 

For me my passion is for those who are relationally disempowered.  This is often overlooked when thinking about the poor but as a Church we should be aiming to serve those who are lonely, those who struggle to make friends, those who have no family to rely on and those who are marginalised by society. 

Those of you who know me, know that I have a big heart for young people and I believe that in our culture, media and society, young people are being disempowered.  This generation has been labelled as the lost generation.  They have been written off.  University fees have become a stumbling block to further education and self improvement, the Anti-Social behaviour act has helped to criminalise a generation and large scale unrest by the minority (such as the London riots) have caused them to be labelled as rebellious and unruly.

In my own town of Bishops Stortford, Young People are pushed to the fringes of the community.  They congregate in groups in the dark places in our town (car parks and fields) out of everyone’s way.  They instigate their own rules and live up to the reputation that society has given them.  This is not what God wants for the Young People of Bishosp Stortford.

For me I want to serve the young people of Bishops Stortford better than we are and that is why we are looking to launch a Youth Cafe in the town.  Thirst (www.thirstcafe.com) will be a warm, friendly, funky environment where young people can come and be themselves, find security and simply chill out.  It will be a place right in the middle of the town centre for all to see (76 South Street is the venue we are trying to secure the lease on) and it will be a place that looks to honour, love and bless the young people of Bishops Stortford.

Young people are my passion and I could talk about them all day…but what’s yours and what are you doing about it?  The bottom line is this; we’re called to serve the poor so let’s do it.  Find your passion…find your gifting and go for it.

I’ll finish with a quote from Bill Wilson: When people care more for themselves than the people around them, society beings to crumble.  My question this week is this:  Are we more concerned about ourselves or about others? 

No comments:

Post a Comment